(5) Things we love..#162

Posted in Things We Love

While most of the country has been in the grip of a ridiculously cold spell, winter has bypassed Southern California altogether. My winter wardrobe is languishing. My galoshes are on an extended vacation. Oh well. I am enjoying the beach – haven’t worn a bikini yet but many people have, with just cause.

One. While the Grammys were going on, I was in a bar, catching up with a friend, wholly unconcerned as to the future of the music industry. I have to admit, though, that I was pleased to see Childish Gambino won as best Tradition R&B Performer. It’s been a long time since I got excited about an R&B artist (although I am much less excited about the soft core video that marketers feel is needed. Shame on you all).

Two. To balance things out, let’s Ask a Mortician. Everything, virtually everything, you ever wanted to know about death from a friendly and hip mortician. Possibly a hip profession of the future. Must thank Leonor for getting me hooked (I chose one of the mildest videos – much, much more on YouTube).

Three. From soft core, to death to…climbing expeditions. I am all over the map this week. Louise left  a few comments on C&S that piqued my curiosity and, before I knew it, I was thumping around her site, The Year I Touched My Toes. Louise is just like you and me, a 50 something year old from Australia. Unlike you and me, she got it into her head to climb to Everest base camp. Meander over to her site to see how it ends..

Four. Blood Moon on Wednesday night. Best seen over here, in the West Coast, on a cloudless night. But here it is, being welcomed in NYC. Supposedly, it heralds all kind of madness. Can’t see how crazier this shit show can get.

Five. If you live in LA and you feel you were never able to get a decent deep dish pizza, can I recommend Blackbird Pizza Shop on Melrose? Someone I deeply care for works there – bias aside, the pizza is objectively excellent (and so are the meatballs). Beer selections are super interesting too.

1. Rispondo solo per la luna, nemmeno io l’ho vista a causa del cielo nuvoloso

February 4, 2018
    • Mi domando come si sarebbe vista a Milano…

February 5, 2018
  2. As always, thanks for the recommendations (awesome, I might add). Despite noting the blue moon occurrence this week in a post, I completely spaced out viewing it and it was spectacularly clear in Denver. *Sigh* Here’s to a terrific upcoming week.

February 4, 2018
    • Bet it looked terrific in Denver. Have a great week! By the way, Portia’s platelets are back up to normal. Yeah! Let’s see if they stay that way

February 5, 2018
      • That’s “pawsome” news. So happy to hear that. Extra ear scratches for your sweet girl.

February 5, 2018
  3. Cold and dreary here. I am permanently encased in clothing from neck down. Usually said clothing is gray or purple. Am looking forward to spring and warm weather, not because I’ll be wearing a bikini– but because I’ll get to wear some cheerier colors, like blue and aqua. [File this comment under: A Blonde’s Lament.]

February 3, 2018
    • Lament away. And I will not tell you what I was wearing today.

February 5, 2018
  4. Winston Moreton
    Winston Moreton

Saw the blue moon too – once in a lifetime thing.

February 3, 2018

Wish I were there to wear my bikini. This morning we woke up with the snow falling from the sky. Wishing you a sweet weekend

February 3, 2018
    • I heard. Conceptually, I would like to wake up and find snow. Just for a couple of hours.

February 5, 2018
  6. My ex lives in Santa Monica and was telling me about the warm weather. Crazy. Here very cold spell.

February 3, 2018
    • Beach weather again today. My winter coats are complaining.

February 5, 2018
  7. Hmm I think I’ll step away before I end up watching too many of these mortician videos. Fascinating though

February 3, 2018
  8. Hi Silvana, Thank you for the mention above. I am really glad I discovered your site and look forward to reading more of your posts. Just little one thing I’ m Australian based in Melbourne. Louise

February 3, 2018
    • What the hell was I thinking? I knew you are an Ozzie – that is what happens when you write three posts in a row on the same day! (and it’s Claudia)

February 4, 2018
      • Ahh I don’t know how I called by the incorrect name. Twice. I checked the About page too. Claudia. My god that’s short term memory loss and not concentrating and probably doing more than one thing. Louise the forgetful Aussie.

February 4, 2018