(5) Things we love…#158

Posted in Things We Love

I have never seen fires in Los Angeles in December! But there you have it: no humidity, drier than dry and hot. Combined with hellish winds that are not planning to abate until Saturday, four fires exploded, one in the center of the city (Los Angeles is full of large parks and canyons) that closed a major freeway and prevented thousands of people from going where they were supposed to. I will be picking up branches and ashes for days – but, hey, my house is intact (for now)- not something far too many people can say.

One. If you don’t live in the US, the name Matt Lauer won’t mean much to you. But, even someone like me, who never watches the major tv networks, thought of Matt Lauer as a sort of tv uncle: ever-present, somewhat innocuous and well-liked. Until women started talking. Once again, This was an open secret. And yet, far too many just let it go in the name of greed, status and just plain uncaring.

Carlo CollaTwo. From one creep to another. One more (creepy) tale of a virtual friendship gone terribly wrong. And why, in this day and age, do people still send each other naked pictures, one has to wonder.

Three. One good thing the Trump era has done is to push journalism to a new-found excellence. Major media have finally woken up. Good call on Time’s part.

Four.  The 405 freeway (the busiest in the country) runs north to south across Los Angeles. This is what the commute looked like going north (south side was closed).

Five. Firefighters come to my house every Spring to make sure the brush is cleared far enough that, in the event of a fire, the property can be defended. They give us advice, we chat and thank them for their thoroughness. There is not a week that goes by that I don’t feel indebted to these men and women who, in the face of perilous climate change and more destructive fires, work miracles to keep us safe. I am sure the entire city feels the same way today.

1. winstonmoreton
    winstonmoreton

Donald Trump’s little helper Matt Lauer might be leaving NZ. He recently bought a 9 million dollar ranch here. Not allowed to do that if you are a foreign undesirable

December 11, 2017
    • That is interesting. NZ is the place where very rich Americans go to hide. Who knew?

December 13, 2017
        Winston Moreton

The new administration might cut him loose. And I hear Alabama has sent a message too

December 13, 2017
        • Alabama. Of all places. We have the African Americans to thank for that – they turned out in great numbers. Also, an old time Republican senator from the state came out publicly and said he could not, in good conscience, vote for a pedophile and he urged voters to write in a candidate of their choosing. Those 20,000 write ins really made a difference. When the results came in I was making dinner. Couldn’t stop laughing thinking how much Trump must have been upset.

December 13, 2017
  2. I thought Matt Lauer was my tv brother! What bastard. Hope your house stays intact.

December 11, 2017
    • That came out of left field, didn’t it? (House is fine, thank you. Our breathing apparatuses a bit less so)

December 13, 2017
  3. I hope you and your loved ones manage to stay safe. These fires are too scary.

Numbers 2 and 3 are simply despicable. I wish I got to see a world where these sort of things never happened, but humanity is not just sunshine and flowers. Reading the POTUS reaction to Matt Lauer’s firing is disgusting. I’m ever ashamed there are women who still choose to stand by that man.

A huge congratulation to TIME magazine! Excellent reply to the orange Cheeto, bravo!

Finally, the firefighters: I see a lot of thank-you images to the US troops but not nearly enough to these brave men and women who face dangerous fires to save others. There should definitely be more of that.

December 10, 2017
    • Another reason you can add to those you already have for not moving to LA….

December 13, 2017
  4. Was so glad to see your post to know you’re safe. May you remain so dear Campatigirl 😊

December 9, 2017
  5. winstonmoreton
    winstonmoreton

Zonis – life imitating art. Sounds like a follower of Stephen King or Machiavelli

December 8, 2017
  6. The fire video is so terrifying and hypnotic at the same time. Thinking of you and your fellow Californians and praying this terrible disaster ends soon. The news reports are beyond anything imaginable. Stay safe.

December 8, 2017
    • And I didn’t even go into the horse story because it breaks my heart too much

December 9, 2017