(5) Thing we love…#157

Posted in Things We Love

We made it to December apparently. I have been dreading December for the last 12 years, since I started working in the culinary industry, for obvious reasons having to do with parties, attended by others and catered by people like me. Hopefully, this will be the last December full of such commitments. Here a few things that kept me going this week.

One. When the brain gets jumbled, I tidy up. Not Marie Kondo style. I just organize the space to de-clutter my mind. Apparently I am not alone.

Tidying up

Two. Finally one win for team USA! After a whole year of being represented around the world by an orange moron, a young woman makes us look good. I had never seen LA native Meghan Markle (or her show) before but in the post engagement to Prince Harry interview she comes across as lovely, down to earth and crazy in love. Or else she is a fantastic actress, and please give her an Oscar. So, now, in America too we can use the British Monarchy to cheer ourselves up.

Three. If you are an artist in need of some boost, this Neil Gaiman speech is for you (thank you to Leonor  for passing it along).

Four. And if reading about amazing people changing the world is what does it for you, this man is an inspiration.

Five. Not exactly Latin. Still needed at this juncture (thank you Eddie, for putting it on the radar).

1. Voglia di corona? 😉

December 10, 2017
    • Assolutamente si. Ho passato le ultime tre sere sul divano a guardarmi la nuova stagione di The Crown

December 13, 2017
      • Mi hanno detto che è bellissimo, non l’ho ancora affrontato. Sono in recupero su Game of thrones

December 13, 2017
  2. I love that Kleon defines tidying as “avoiding work by doing other work.” Good luck with the storm of food extravaganza headed your way.

December 4, 2017
    • Otherwise called procrastination without feeling too guilty…

December 5, 2017
  3. I’ve never seen your saying about tidying up, but I have my own version of it. When I don’t know what to do about something, I tell myself to clean the sink. Any sink, but usually the kitchen sink which is stainless steel and looks inspiring to me when it’s perfectly shiny. Also, I adore the last quote. It made me laugh out loud. Thanks.

December 4, 2017
    • I talked, at some point, about my compulsion for tidying up and getting rid of clutter – I call it a pet peeve, my family would say it borders on OCD. The sink is high on my list of must keep clean at all costs (as is the fridge – in fact, I wrote an entire post on keeping the fridge clean…)

December 4, 2017
  4. Best wishes to enjoying the holidays as much as your catering life will allow and even more best wishes for the fantastic potential that’s ahead awaiting you. As they say…the light at the end of the tunnel is close by. As for Ms. Markle, I have been a fan of her’s on Suits and this interview totally solidified my thoughts as to her genuineness as a beautiful human and one who isn’t representative of the orange stain upon our country. Blessings to both of them and may they enjoy and love each other in the distant future as much as they clearly do today.

December 3, 2017
    • And may you enjoy your holidays in your cold corner of the country (the cold has come here finally – what about Colorado?). Are you saying I should be watching Suits? Honestly, I had never heard of it before.

December 4, 2017
      • I enjoy a mindless series now and then. Plus I’m a sucker for ‘legal beagle’ shows. She’s become a real moral compass in the show between the shows two males stars (a powerful rainmaker and her fiancé. There are lots of egos around but having worked in the legal biz for 87 years, it’s a fun watch. Plus it’s always a nice fantasy when the good guys win over those are bereft of decency.

The weather has been record setting warm temps here (with mid-80’s Thanksgiving week), perennials are still blooming but today there’s a chilly wind blowing. No snow yet which is troubling.

December 4, 2017
  5. I hadn’t watched the interview, loved it. They look very much in love and I couldn’t help but smile all the time, they really look like they have such chemistry!

Number 4 – wow. Having 25 women risk their lives for one man they deem important enough to save was what really got to me. I hope Dr. Mukwege continues to save a lot of lives and make a real difference.

Glad you liked 3 😀 (And I’m keeping 1 to myself, I’ll never tell my other half that *not* being tidy is good for art, otherwise I’ll have a creative hurricane in the house!)

December 2, 2017
    • Look at the two of us, gushing about a monarchy…quite funny. But, hey, anything to make us feel good..

December 4, 2017
      • Whatever works, right? 😀 If I ever find the episode of QI where one of the participants mentions the elusive (and non-existent) Princess Monaco of Kent I’ll send it your way… funny stuff.

December 5, 2017
  6. December will past as fast as it has come! Soon you’ll be able to relax and put all this negativity behind you. Good luck 😀

December 2, 2017