Strawberry and frangipane crostata

Posted in Food & Entertaining

I had guests coming for dinner and wanted to end the meal with a simple crostata. Peaches are not great any longer, the last batch I tried woody and bland. The strawberries I bought were good but not stellar. So I decided to enliven the crostata with some frangipane filling.

Frangipane is an almond based tart filling, somewhere between a custard and a paste. It’s typical of France and mostly associated with Christmas desserts. But who is stopping us from making it any time we feel like it?

I made a small amount and spread it on the bottom of a pate brisee, and arranged a compote of strawberries on top. But frangipane can be used for a proper tart too. I used to fill individual (partly baked) tarts with it and top it with some fresh fruit. The filling would swell and develop a thin crust on top and the fruit would sink a little. Delicious.

For this particular version I made a pate brisee (here is a good recipe from Martha Stewart) and rolled fairly thin. I spread the frangipane on top. The strawberry compote was made just by cooking some strawberries with a tablespoon of sugar and a dash of lemon until the strawberries started to break down. I folded the sides of the crostata, brushed them with egg yolk and baked in a 375F/190C for about 40 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.

FRANGIPANE RECIPE

9 oz butter (250 g), room temperature

9 oz almonds (skin on – 250 g)

9 oz powdered sugar (250 g)

5 eggs

1/3 C flour (40 g)

4 T rum

• Process almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
  • Sift together the flour and powdered sugar. Set aside.
  • Using a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter on high-speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium-low and add the almonds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix on low to fully incorporated.
  • Add flour and sugar mixture. Turn mixer on low and blend until completely incorporated. Add the eggs, one at a time. Stir in rum. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

1. Non ho mai fatto la pasta frangipane e questa ricetta mi sollecita molto. Non so con che frutta, vedrĂ²

October 11, 2017
    • In genere uso fragole, albicocche o prugne. Pero’ in questa stagione mi sembra che potrebbe stare bene con le pere.

October 11, 2017
  2. Instead of rum or almond extract, I have used Amaretto di Saronno (someone gave us a bottle, which lingers in a cupboard). It tasted divine!

September 29, 2017
    • Such a great idea. Why didn’t I think of it?? I have a bottle of Amaretto in my cupboard too that came from god knows where – I most certainly didn’t buy. I trot it out for cooking on occasion but I completely forgot.

September 29, 2017
  3. Great recipe but you forgot to say how many eggs to use in the frangipane.

September 28, 2017
    • What a dingbat! I amended it. Thank you for noticing.

September 29, 2017
  4. This looks and sounds great. Nice rustic presentation. I may use some almond extract in the frangipane. This would also be great with cherries.

PS The number of eggs is missing from the frangipane ingredients.

September 28, 2017
    • Cherries sound perfect. I don’t love almond extract but it’s just my personal pet peeve – it would enhance the almond taste for sure and I think most frangipane recipes call for it. Thanks for noticing the eggs mishap..

September 29, 2017
  5. For those of us who never mastered the art of crimping pie crusts not even remotely well, the crostata makes us look good. Your recipe sounds divine, my mouth started watering before I got through reading the entire post. đŸ˜‰

September 28, 2017
    • True. At home I don’t even bother to use a round cutter: I go totally free form. But shall I plan a pie crimping lesson/post??

September 28, 2017
      • I’ve practiced for years and tried all sorts of tricks, tips and still can’t make it even remotely good looking or evenly spaced. Luckily my stomach doesn’t seem to mind too much because I can happily eat a piece of pie any old time. LOL

September 28, 2017