Quick dinner: chicken breasts with mushrooms

Posted in Food & Entertaining

How many ways can you cook chicken? Millions. How can you keep a chicken breast from drying out? The options are more limited. Recently I tried a marinade that involved miso, soy and mirin that worked wonders, even after the chicken was cooked on the grill.

Dark meat is considerably juicier but, let’s face it, most of us refuse to budge from white meat, and I include myself. In my case, I try to disguise the fact I am eating meat and the less meat-tasting it is, the better.

When I was a kid, veal was often served at the dinner table, in the form of cotoletta or scaloppine, with mushrooms, prosciutto, cheese or a combination of them. Nowadays, you couldn’t persuade me to eat veal even if it were the last food left on earth. My mother is baffled but goes with it and adapts her old recipes to my new ways of eating.

A few nights ago, discovering a bag of mushrooms in the fridge, she set out to make chicken with mushrooms. She defrosted the breasts she found in the freezer and proceeded to pound them pretty thin. Then she drenched them in lemon juice and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours. She insists the process tenderizes the meat – I guess it does.

In the meantime, she cleaned and sliced the mushrooms which she sautéed in a pan with olive oil, a bit of butter, salt and pepper. When the mushrooms began to let out their juices, she added a splash of milk, lowered the heat and let the mushrooms cook until very tender.

Just before dinner, she heated a mixture of oil and butter in a frying pan. The chicken breasts were lightly floured and cooked on med/high heat for a few minutes. At the table, she topped the chicken with the mushrooms and served them with roasted potatoes. I have to admit to their deliciousness, chicken or no chicken.

1. Simple is best!! Nice article…thanks for sharing…following :))

November 15, 2017
  2. Ottima, la proverò. Ma … a few night ago? La mamma soffre di insonnia o di jet lag?

September 2, 2017
    • Si intende come sera. Raramente si usa evening quando si parla della serata in generale.

September 2, 2017
      • Avrei dovuto saperlo. Grazie

September 2, 2017
  3. I might deglaze the pan with a bit of white wine to have a bit of jus. Sounds quick and delicious.

August 31, 2017
    • Absolutely – everything tastes better when deglazed.

August 31, 2017
  4. Ellie
    Ellie

Sounds delicious !!! I do love chicken with mushrooms – I think it is a perfect combination.
    I have never tried lemon marinade on chicken – always fearing that lemon has a ‘cooking effect’ on meat – which I think is probably true for beef. (I’d put the lemon afterwards). So the fact that your mother has been doing it successfully with chicken for years has freed that option!!
    I am not vegetarian or vegan – but I do lean that way. I agree with you on meat issues – and would sponsor a return to the old ways when meat-eating was very much a Sunday only affair – with the rest of the week spent eating other produce – this showed respect not only for the animals themselves but for all the work and investment in rearing them. We should have so much more respect for food and animals in general.
    I will also try the miso, soy and mirin. Thanks for the tip !

August 31, 2017
    • If we all had meat once a week, there would be no need for raising meat on the ridiculously large scale we do!

August 31, 2017