A very quick dinner of chicken and soy sauce

Posted in Food & Entertaining

Twenty-four hours in the air delivered me to a full-blown Summer or, to be more exact, the first heat wave of the season. My hot flushes had been appeased by the cold and bluster of the Southern hemisphere and now I am pining for weather I cannot have.

The day after I came back, waking from a semi-comatose sleep finally in my bed and not sitting upright, I took stock of the fridge and its slim pickings. I purged it of wilted lettuce and soggy celery and, before running to the grocery store, I took the necessary step of pulling out all the condiment bottles that seem to live in one’s refrigerator in perpetuity. I am always mildly alarmed when I check for expiration dates and don’t find any, like that bottle of stir-fry sauce I used once and never again. It tasted and smelled fine. Maybe time to give it a go.

Between the jet lag and the heat, I was in no mood of cooking anything elaborate, so I marinated some chicken tenders in an improvised concoction, made up on the spur of the moment. And I decided it was time to take the grill out of retirement, dust it and clean it properly, under the careful supervision of Ottie and Portia, for the first grilling of the season to take place.

The chicken turned out to be more delicious than its quick preparation deserves and, being so simple, it will be repeated, maybe next time served with something less lazy than just a green salad.

RECIPE – serves 3

1 pound of chicken tenders (450 g)
1/4 C soy sauce
3 T stir fry sauce (of a sweetish variety, mine contained soy, honey ketchup, wine etc)
2 T sesame oil
a smidge of hot sauce

• If you are in the mood for a garnish, toss some peanuts or cashews with some Tabasco or other hot sauce and roast them for 10 minutes.
  • Make the marinade by combining all the ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. If you can’t taste some sweetness, stir in some sugar or molasses. Add the chicken and let marinate for 30 minutes.
  • Grill the chicken (I discarded the marinade but you could try using it for basting) until cooked. Serve with nuts if desired, rice and vegetables.

1. Quante ricette super nascono per caso? Ottima! Bentornata. Direi che è andato tutto benissimo 🙂

June 23, 2017
  2. It’s only day 2 of summer and I’m already pinning for the shorter days of autumn. Sounds like a lovely dish-I may try adapting this for a vegetarian’s palate. Stay cool.

June 22, 2017
    • I am with you. Vacationing in Alaska or Norway is suddenly very attractive.

June 22, 2017
  3. Sounds perfect for a hot day. Here it has been over 34 for 5 days now and even barbecuing is no fun. Yesterday it was 33 at 9pm!

June 22, 2017
    • I heard a meteorologist on the radio saying that we talk a lot about the highest temperatures, but what doesn’t get mentioned is that the night temperatures have risen too. 33 at night is brutal!

June 22, 2017

I’m sure the supervision of Ottie and Portia is what turned the dish in a real delicacy

June 22, 2017
    • They were eyeing the chicken with some hope…

June 22, 2017
  5. Food therapy for jet lag. But what was the airline fare like?

June 21, 2017
    • According to British Airways’ idea of vegetarinsm, offering pasta with a creamy sauce is the way to go at every single meal. Apart from the flight where they couldn’t locate my veggie meal and, as their only choices were beef or chicken, they proudly presented me (after everyone had long finished eating) with a salad from First Class, comprising of two lettuce leaves and one beet cut in four. And a warm bread roll (which I guess covered the hot requirement of the meal). They did send me a survey upon my return. I don’t expect to hear back.

June 22, 2017
      • Wow, that’s truly appalling! When we travelled to California last year with Air New Zealand the vegetarian food was really good. It was better from London than from California (the first one was even vegan to top), but they were varied and tasty. I can’t imagine how BA could lose a meal on a plane!

June 22, 2017
        • I think next time I will try the vegan option. Let’s see what they come up with.

June 28, 2017