(5) Things love #..134

Posted in Things We Love

It was with a mixture of surprise and sadness that, on Thursday morning, I learnt Chris Cornell had taken his own life. More than Nirvana or Pearl Jam, Soundgarden was the band that represented grunge for me, and it was a privilege to work with them. I remember Chris as an intense, introverted and gentle man, with otherworldly and piercing green eyes. Beyond the stage persona and the guitar riffs were a seriousness not often associated with rock stars but, above all, exquisitely personal lyrics, un unsettling and beautiful four-octave voice and  a sense of searching. I guess the demons won.

One. Hard to pick a favorite Soundgarden song. This one always gave me the shivers. And it illustrate the struggle.

Two. This story, which appeared in the Atlantic, arrived to me from three different sources within 48 hours. It is a bit of a lengthy read but worth every word: could slavery still happen in America? The answer is yes, as this personal account shows, with more than a tinge of regret and attempt at reparation.

Three. It might be odd for a sixteen year old to marry his drama teacher, 25 years his senior, but the relationship between the newly elected French President, Emmanuel Macron, and Brigitte Trogneux has endured the test of time. I like that she kept her name and she will not become Mme Macron. I like that she dresses as she pleases. And I like that she has a sense of humor: “Emmanuel had to run now. In seven years, the main obstacle will have been my face.”

Four.  We give life. And, apparently, brains too.

Five. I have mixed feelings about horoscopes. I read them and pretend not to believe them. Wherever you are on the horoscope spectrum,  Chani Nicholas’ are a pleasure to read for the insight into human nature they offer and the personal style she brings to them.

Horoscopes

1. Anch’io son in lutto per Chris Cornell. Anche a me piace madam Macron. Ora vado a cercarmi l’oroscopo del’acquario

May 29, 2017
    • Non che creda a queste cose….ma tutte le mie migliori amiche sono acquario o gemelli!

May 30, 2017
      • Segni d’aria … ci credo poco anch’io, ma è divertente, almeno per la personalità

May 30, 2017
  2. So shocking about Chris Cornell. I was more of a Pearl Jam girl, but admired his work. I really feel for his wife and family and devoted fans.

May 22, 2017
    • Did you see Pearl Jam inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Groovy live set.

May 22, 2017
  3. I love the way the Macrons are throwing our sexist ageist culture in tilt. Placing her next to Melanie Trump, him next to Donald…. It would be great to be in France at the moment. I wonder what this on our doorstep is doing to our psyche?

May 21, 2017
    • Other than driving us mad? At this point, I will take any world leader, other than Trump. Maybe not Duterte but any sane leader.

May 22, 2017
  4. #1 definitely made me sad, particularly because it was self-inflicted – there’s an added weight to a death when you know the person decided life was too hard. Great choice of song, and may I add I’m slightly jealous you got to meet Chris Cornell in person, he always struck me as a quiet and funny guy.

#3 wouldn’t be news if the genders were reversed, would it? Glad she has a sense of humour.

And… I’ve sent #4 to my mother, because finally I can do something Freudian and claim it’s all her fault.

May 21, 2017
    • It’s always our mother’s fault, as I am fond of reminding mine.

May 22, 2017