(5) Things we love…#132

Posted in Things We Love

I am writing this barely an hour since the US Congress passed a bill aimed at profoundly altering our healthcare system, all in the name of selfishness and capitalism. If this bill ever became law, people like me, with a serious or chronic disease, no matter how far in the past, would be charged considerably more for health insurance than healthy people, with no cap. I am so disgusted I can only hope all those congressmen who voted “yes” will face the wrath of their constituents come election time. If you check out only one of the 5 things for this week, let it be the Jimmy Kimmel video (especially if you don’t live in the US). I will spend the weekend writing and getting rid of my rage. You? Do something fun.

One. Jimmy Kimmel is a comedian and host to a late night tv program on a major network. His new-born baby was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect last week and had to undergo the first of multiple surgeries. Jimmy opens up to his personal experience but, more importantly, he makes the case why healthcare is a basic human right. The f*****s in Congress still voted against it.

Two. Something to lighten the mood: Kirby Jenner proclaims to be Kendall’s fraternal twin. His Instagram feed is composed of photoshopped images of himself with Kendall. It’s beyond hilarious. Once I started looking, I just couldn’t stop.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Three. Baking bread is not what it used to be. More addictive images that won’t change your life but will make you smile (from My Modern Met).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Four. The discarded sofa on the side of the road is a quintessential LA image. No neighbourhood is immune to this blight but photographer Andrew Ward has elevated them to art, with his project “Sofas of LA”, born on Instagram and now becoming a book. You can see the theme here…

Five. Word of the day: Mugwump. Any idea what it means??

1. La sanità è un gran problema. Il pane è molto divertente. Ora mi concentro e guardo il videino …

May 10, 2017
    • La sanita’ mi pare stia diventando un problema anche in Italia.

May 12, 2017
  2. I had watched the Kimmel piece and was delighted to see him use his platform to basically call for healthcare for all. Recently the cruelty of this country scares me. But I think healthcare for all has never been as real in the minds of Americans as it is now. And I do believe though, I do, that there will rioting in the streets if this bill passes through the next stage. That’s when Trump’s shit would really hit the fan––or should I say fans, his fans, his supporters. Then, all hell…
    Hope you’re well.

May 8, 2017
    • Which they would deserve. While my senator, Kamala Harris, will work towards blocking this stupid piece of legislation, I am still calling the Senate switchboard to give them a piece of my mind.

May 8, 2017
  3. Yes to #2 and #3! I can’t even comment on #1 – and I’m writing this after Trump declared Australia had a better healthcare system than the US (it’s a public one). Seriously, that man drives me up the wall.

May 7, 2017
    • And you don’t even live here. We have to wall ourselves off sometimes to keep the rage at bay, and forget he exists.

May 8, 2017
      • I don’t, and I can’t imagine how it’s like for you… I only hope he doesn’t destroy all the good things Obama did, and then some.

May 9, 2017
  4. Winston Moreton
    Winston Moreton

90 per cent of Trump supporters will rue the day as they inevitably age and retire from their health care subsidised jobs. When they finally come to need cover it will be unaffordable

May 6, 2017
    • I am trying to find it in my heart to be charitable but, at the moment, I hope they all find themselves in such a predicament.

May 7, 2017
  5. That Jimmy Kimmel video brought tears to my eyes.
    It’s frustrating when politicians and policy-makers just can’t get their priorities right.
    Hope you manage to dissipate your rage somehow. I’ll do likewise, then do something fun like you suggest

May 6, 2017