(5) Things we love…#129

Posted in Things We Love

How can it be Friday again? Time is galloping at unnatural speed. At this rate, I will be 70 before I know it. All my picks this week are rather visual, maybe because I spent the week skimming rather than diving in. At least, I have the weekend to relax and take in some beauty. You?

One. Would you put this wallpaper on your walls? Sofagirl and I think it’s terrific (found on Wallpaperdirect).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Two. Where does car paint go to die? In jewelry and funky art apparently. When the excess paint, which is air-dried, is taken off a car, it hardens and can then be reused for more artistic endeavors. Don’t they look like semi-precious stones?

Three. Is good coffee a right or a luxury? Roy Choy’s Local, a fast food chain started in the Watts neighbourhood of Los Angeles, aiming to serve good food to underserved areas, argues it’s the former. Locol charges $1.00 for a cup of coffee as fancy as the one found at lofty establishments like Intelligentsia or Stumptown. If there is a will there is always a way.

Four. The Pulitzers were announced this week and David Fahrentold, a reporter for the Washington Post, won for his work aimed at debunking Trump’s opaque and/or false charity contributions. In the process, David tweeted pages from his notebooks, detailing his work. A possible example of why a laptop is not always needed (via Austin Kleon).

Five. How did the Easter Bunny come about it? He obviously underwent a rehabilitation since the Middle Ages, when the Easter Bunny came to kill you. Who knew? (thank you Eddie). Happy Easter!

That wallpaper is ab fab! Even though I might get tired of it after a while

April 19, 2017
  2. No, I would not put that swan paper on my wall. I’m trying to persuade husband to incrementally tear off all the wallpaper in our house (before the grandchildren get there first) and paint our walls white.

Coffee at $1 sounds good to me. I’ll pop into Locol’s next time I’m in LA. (I do live a little way away, though.) Here in England, a mug of coffee costs approaching £2, Starbucks maybe a little less. But my husband makes the best coffee of all – at home!

April 17, 2017
    • The last time I lived in a house with wallpaper was in England, circa 1985! Maybe that is why I wouldn’t mind a fun wall of it.
      Locol is in a much maligned neighborhood, where the LA riots started twenty years ago. While it has enjoyed some nice growth, it is still a poorer area and it is so great that a famous chef put time and resources into building a place that truly serves the community.

April 18, 2017
  3. Lovely wallpaper! 🙂 Happy Easter to you all! 🐰🐣🐇🐣

April 16, 2017
    • Hope you had a lovely Easter (with some decent weather…)

April 18, 2017
  4. The Easter Bunny had to scour Beijing to find chocolate rabbits and eggs – it was a close run thing as Arlo (2yrs) and Angus (5) were very worried that as they were visiting us they would be left out of his rounds! Anyway we had a wonderful sunny blue sky day eating a sumptuous Chinese lunch up on a terrace in the grounds of the Temple of the Sun – and for your information dumplings, chicken wings, fried rice and chocolate eggs were considered an excellent combo!
    There is a hotel here in BJ that has that paper on the wall of a room overlooking a lake with some flamingos.
    Happy Easter!!

April 16, 2017
    • Chinese lunch on a terrace in the grounds of the Temple of the Sun sounds like the perfect way to spend Easter. And I believe that chocolate eggs go with virtually everything, even dumplings. I, instead, went hiking, forsaking all chocolate….

April 18, 2017
  5. Oh my heavens…that wallpaper is fabulous! I can just see it in a small powder room. May the chocolate be exquisite and dark for Easter. Hoppity Easter. 🐣

April 15, 2017
  6. I have seen the flamingo wallpaper here in a bar or restaurant in NYC. I loved it too. I can’t understand how these writers putting forward such brilliant cases on Trump’s endless wrongdoing can even go as far as winning Pulizers yet none of it reaches him or sticks. So frustrating I need to go eat another chocolate bunny. Don’t think I won’t. Have a wonderful Easter! x

April 15, 2017
    • Ignorance and a unwillingness to be informed rule. Happy Easter!

April 16, 2017
  7. Many good things in this list…
    I didn’t even know excess car paint was a thing, let alone that it could be used for something good.
    Those Medieval bunnies are frickin’ scary, but I thought some of the pictures were hilarious!
    My favourite of this list, though, is #4. Even before I read what the pages actually were. I just like that they are handwritten notes.

April 15, 2017
    • Sometimes, writing in ink makes things more real for me.

April 16, 2017