(5) Things we love…#125

Posted in Things We Love

I don’t know about you, but I am becoming a pro at concentrating on what is good, while so much around us is dire. Maybe gathering the strength for something momentous? Maybe. Maybe just trying not to take myself so seriously. Work again this weekend but not too much. Thinking of trying a new Indian restaurant on Sunday. You?

One. If you knew you were dying, would you shop around for a new wife for your husband? You might be one of the over four million people who read this Modern Love essay by writer Amy Krause Rosenthal – if you aren’t, I suggest you do. I cannot think of a better tribute from one human being to another (Amy died ten days after the piece appeared in the NYT).

Two. A very good use of a tree stump (the poem is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein – the tree was spotted in Oakland, CA).

Three. If it weren’t tinged with more than a bit of truth, it would be even more hilarious. Sometimes I wish I could see the world the way Tracey Ullman does.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Four. I have been resisting a trip to Ikea to scope for a new ottoman because I might – no, I will -leave with a lot more than I bargained for. As usual. Like some of the pieces from the new Jassa Limited Edition Collection.

Five. The Smorgasburg food market, typically found every Sunday on the grounds of the Alameda Food Market in downtown LA, came to the Santa Monica Pier last Saturday. I braved the throngs with the best intentions to try something I have never eaten before. I went with musubi, at Mama Musubi, a take on Japanese omusubi. Super popular in Hawaii, it’s a ball of rice with grilled spam held together by a sheet of Nori. No spam for me: one with salmon and one with eel (both cooked) – they were delicious and the perfect self-contained street food.

1. Il video è arrivato anche qui e, non, non gli comprerei un’altra moglie, credo che lo lascerei quietare per un po’ 😉

March 21, 2017
  2. My plans for the weekend would have been lounging around on those level;y cushions. Some thought provoking material here. I’ll have to listen to Tracey Ullman (haven’t heard her name in years, she used to be huge on UK tv before she went off to LA…) when I’m not in the classroom 🙂 Off to read the essay now. Intriguing concept…

March 20, 2017
    • I also remember Tracey Ullman from her UK days. She is hilarious. Have been watching her 30 mins show that was on HBO a little while ago. Some of it is a bit too British for American audiences but she is so talented. The Angela Merkel skits are priceless.

March 20, 2017
  3. No special plans this weekend, waiting for inspiration to strike, that’ll be my activity. Have been to IKEA to see the new collection. And yes, I left with far more than I bargained for. That place is deliciously addictive and just down right fun when you have a couple hours to stroll and get fresh ideas for around the house. The fact that the one in Denver is one of the biggest doesn’t help. ? Best wishes for a wonderful weekend.

March 18, 2017
    • Deliciously addictive is the apt description. Even getting their catalogue makes my mouth water! I will have to give in and plan a trip there, possibly on a Monday morning to avoid the throngs.

March 18, 2017
  4. Work this week-end for me too, unfortunately, but only on Sunday. I spent this afternoon lying on the grass by the Brisbane River, alternately reading, and just staring at clouds, thinking about impermanence.

I like this list, particularly #3 and #5 (eel is delicious when cooked well!) And, yes, I’m one of those 4-million-plus people who have read that essay in #1. Reading some of the responses/comments she got from that was equally touching

March 18, 2017
    • Maybe that is what I will do before going to work today – spend some time alternately reading and staring at clouds…

March 18, 2017