Subscribe to campari&sofa and receive new posts via email

Looking forward

In my personal pantheon, 2016 will not be remembered as one of my favorite years. In truth, I can’t wait to bid it sayonara. I am sure that if I looked back, I would find plenty of moments of grace and even downright happiness. But I am staunchly choosing not to look back.

One. Our President elect may be a dud but the Governor of California kicks ass (and his deputy, Gavin Newson, who will be running in two years, is equally smart and courageous). Governor Brown is already preparing himself and the state for battle: he has blessed the creation of a fund to help illegal immigrants fight deportation and has vowed to stick with the tight environmental rules California is known for. In short, doing what the people have elected him to do. Because, mostly, California is populated by sane individuals. Personally, I am both surprised and elated at my willingness to fight and become more active, at a time when I thought I could leave activism to younger generations.

Two. If it all gets too depressing, there will be wonderful books to read. One can always rely on words being written and a warm sofa on which to enjoy them, as Kate Atkinsons’ A God in Ruins and Ian McEwan’s Nutshell are reminding me right now. I believe the final installation in the Cromwell saga by Hilary Mantel will be seeing the light of day next year. Reason enough to stick around.

Three. Sofagirl and I are in the planning stages of a trip to France early next Summer, just in time to celebrate her birthday. If it all comes to pass, baguettes will be eaten and berets will be worn. Paris beware.

Four. Ottie, Portia and I are considering adding another canine to the family. Ottie is not totally on board yet but I trust he will come around. At which point, I will lose any semblance of control on my household. Dogs will rule.

Five. This morning, in the pre-dawn light, the ocean looked like velvet.

Six. I have to believe that, for every act of violence and cruelty, for every racist word uttered, for every injustice and for every asshole out to make my day a little harder, there is a counterbalance to be found in all those people who, day in and day out, choose bravery, courage and compassion. Those who do it, not to win accolades or for personal gain, but because their fundamental human decency compels them to.
May I be one of those people next year.

A very Happy New Year to all of you!

1. Ancora buon anno! Sarò a Parigi a metà maggio, chissà … sarebbe divertente incontrarsi in “terreno neutro”. In bocca al lupo per il presidente, non solo agli americani, ahimè

January 3, 2017

A dire il vero, abbiamo aggiustato il tiro…dopo aver fatto piano per Parigi e la Riviera per settimane, ieri Sue ed io ci siamo sentite via skype e abbiamo deciso che la raggiungero’ in Sud Africa per andare in Namibia. Don’t ask! (peccato, perche’ saremmo state a Parigi giusto a fine maggio….alla prossima pero’. Non ho mai visto Genova e la prossima volta che vengo in Italia e’ sulla mia lista di posti da visitare).

January 3, 2017
      • Non male, mi piacciono le persone che hanno questa visione intera del mondo, io ancora fatico ad arrivarci. Sono per natura troppo programmata. Purtroppo, e ripeto purtroppo, abito a Milano, ma a disposizione per qualche dritta su Genova. Anzi, ora ti mando un programmino che avevo stilato per altri amici, al più lo butti

January 4, 2017

Ho abitato a Milano per cinque, felicissimi anni e ho ancora tanti amici. La prossima volta che vengo, te lo dico e ci prendiamo un caffe’.

January 4, 2017
          • Ti aspetto! Io ci abito ormai da vent’anni e sono in overdose di fretta, inquinamento, traffico ecc ecc. Ma ammetto che la città mi ha anche dato tanto, e soprattutto mi ha accolto, con la mia famiglia

January 4, 2017
  2. “Even if setting the gaze forward, the immediate landscape can appear barren and unrewarding. I am positively dreading the fast-approaching day when I will have to witness a reality tv star with a fierce comb over ascend to the Presidency. Still, I am trying to find both personal and global reasons to cheer and welcome 2017 with positivity, if not glee.” –> THIS! And, of course, the whole Brexit disaster. Oh, 2017, you better behave.

January 1, 2017
    • And happy new year, ladies! 😀

January 1, 2017

A very happy new Leonor!

January 2, 2017

…or else…

January 2, 2017
  3. good post. I hope to see a picture of you in a beret later. Actually there was a lady on the train the other day wearing a red beret. It looked so good on her, so I tried a beret too the other day, but needless to say it did not look good on me at all. I clearly do not look french enough

December 31, 2016

Maybe you are not wearing it properly? A friend gave me a beret years ago because I loved how it looked on her. On me, it seemed hideous. Until I found the way it looked right for my face and my hair. Or maybe I could pass for French??

December 31, 2016
      • you probably could pass for French more than I, but maybe I should try again

December 31, 2016
  4. Warmest wishes for a 2017 that is kindler, gentler and saner. Fortunately you and Sofagirl are the counterbalance that people like me revel in and we shall hold you close in the coming year whatever becomes withe the Cheetos candidate. Looking forward to reading about the new addition as well as details on the upcoming trip. Paris will never be the same! ღ, Sam, & Elsa 🐾

December 31, 2016

A very Happy New Year Monika! May dogs keep us sane. Looking forward to reading further adventures of Sam and Elsa.

December 31, 2016
  5. I like this list, and the idea of it. Maybe I’ll make a list…

Happy New Year 🙂

December 31, 2016

No resolutions but lists: I am a great fan of lists…a very Happy New Year to you!

Buon Anno Arlene!

6. Dawn Burden Bennett
    Dawn Burden Bennett

Hi Everyone! Happy 2017. It’s easy to be optimistic in the good times but you need to be a special person to remain upbeat in times of adversity. Regards, Dawnie B-B x

December 30, 2016

Good thought. We are trying Dawnie….A very Happy New Year to you. Thanks for reading!

December 31, 2016
  7. Bonne Année Je te souhait mes meilleurs vœux pour 2017. Que celle-ci t’apporte que du Bon, du Beau et du Bien.

December 30, 2016

Mercie Nadia! A toi et a ta famille aussi…

December 31, 2016

Happy New Year Fiona! May your dreams come true. We still have dreams right? If not resolutions…

8. Winston Moreton
    Winston Moreton

And a Happy New Year back to you guys

December 30, 2016

A very Happy New Year Winston!