Subscribe to campari&sofa and receive new posts via email

(5) Things we love…#104

Posted in Things We Love

i can't explain signIt feels like the last few days of school. I decided to take the whole month of September off to spend it with my mother. Maybe get away for a week. In the meantime, I feel like I have to get there, counting the days and checking off work engagements. My 5 things are all over the map, just like my head….

london undergroundOne. It looks like I will be spending a few days in London in November. The first thing I will do is buy an Oyster pass to get around my beloved tube. Maybe some of these signs will still be up. In any case, they are absolutely brilliant and perfectly executed.

readers bill of rightsTwo. Giving you permission to put that book down (via Austin Kleon).

police makes pastaThree. What many foreigners most like about travelling to Italy is the people: chaotic, loud, disorganized but oh so charming and inventive. Loved this story that happened in Rome and quite a counterpoint on how we think of the police here in the States (spotted by sofagirl).

elizabeth gilbert womenFour. I know quite a few (and dedicated to sofagirl).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Five. If I had to buy a tee, I would buy one of these from Monogram. Love the vague retro style.

You are on your own on that one! I did it once, quite accidentally, after starting the Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I was rather bummed to know who had done it!

August 18, 2016
  1. That is so-Italian people. 😀 Especially Napolitans, and that’s a compliment. 😀

August 15, 2016

They mostly make the country fun to visit.

August 15, 2016
  2. Don’t forget to let me know when you’re here, I’d love to have tea and chat if you have time 🙂 Do you still have an Oyster with you? I ask because if you do, you won’t need a new one, yours should still work.

Loved the story of the policemen in Italy, and I also thought about the contrast between them and American cops. I can still remember when an American friend came by to visit and was absolutely flabbergasted at how nice and chatty ours were here in London, even going so far as to letting her take a peek at their van (she wanted to know how arrested people were transported). Wouldn’t it be nice if police were more of a social service instead of a riot control force in the world?

August 13, 2016

I will most definitely let you know, you are on the list of people I would love to see. Tea or pizza or a curry! I might still have my Oyster in my wallet. Have to sort through the crap in there….

August 14, 2016
  3. These five things might be all over the place, but they certainly all make me smile 🙂
    Hope your countdown to September doesn’t drag on too much!

August 13, 2016

I think I made it sound like some sort of Advent Calendar!

August 14, 2016
  4. Love the story of the Italian policemen.

August 13, 2016

So heartwarming!

August 14, 2016
  5. I’m glad the article about the Roman police is making the rounds. What a touching story. First, that the neighbors called and didn’t ignore the cries, and two that the police stayed, cooked, and made sure they were okay.

I hope there is some kind of follow-up. On my page someone asked where was the couple’s family? Maybe they don’t have children or they have passed away. It’s summer in Italy. The cities clear out. I’m healthy, much younger and I feel the loneliness sometimes. None of my close friends are in town. None.

August 13, 2016
    • Sometimes families move away and have no idea what the situation really is. We do not all have children or surviving family.

August 13, 2016

I do remember very well passing through Milan or Bologna for a day or two on the way to some vacation or other and experiencing that feeling of emptiness and not being able to get together with anyone. At the end of August reconnecting with friends and co-workers was always so exciting!

August 14, 2016

The price point is a little bit high but they are so lovely.

August 14, 2016
  6. I love the story of the Italian cops who cooked pasta for the old couple – so sweet!

August 12, 2016

Only in Italy!

August 14, 2016
  7. Maurits Kalff
    Maurits Kalff

Lovely post, camparigirl. Love the dedication to sofagirl. I miss her on here.

August 12, 2016
      Winston Moreton

I’m with Mauritz but she is on fb. Like CG I will also be visiting family in Italy next month

August 13, 2016

Send pictures and stories.

August 14, 2016

I miss her too and am grateful for Skype. Plotting a trip together next week.

August 14, 2016