Subscribe to campari&sofa and receive new posts via email

(5) Things we love…#98

Posted in Things We Love

crooked houses

Work is slowly winding down. A long weekend is stretching ahead of us. I have a stupid cold but am still determined to enjoy my favorite month of the year. It’s my birthday soon. Here are a few things that brightened my week.

thoreauOne. A lovely illustrated thought by Henry David Thoreau, for all of us who are striving too hard (via Films for Action).

Good Bones

Maggie Smith
Life is short, though I keep this from my children.

Life is short, and I’ve shortened mine

in a thousand delicious, ill-advised ways,

a thousand deliciously ill-advised ways

I’ll keep from my children. The world is at least

fifty percent terrible, and that’s a conservative

estimate, though I keep this from my children.

For every bird there is a stone thrown at a bird.

For every loved child, a child broken, bagged,

sunk in a lake. Life is short and the world

is at least half terrible, and for every kind

stranger, there is one who would break you,

though I keep this from my children. I am trying

to sell them the world. Any decent realtor,

walking you through a real shithole, chirps on

about good bones: This place could be beautiful,

right? You could make this place beautiful.

Two. If you have children, or grandchildren, this poem will make a lot of sense. But, even if you don’t, it’s still a wonderful poem (via Austen Kleon)

BolognaThree. This photo of Bologna, my hometown, made me a bit nostalgic. So beautiful. If your travels take you to Italy, you might want consider making Bologna part of your pilgrimage (it will be muggy and hot but still beautiful).

Dear Mr. President

Four. Mighty impressed with the White House. I sent a condensed and slightly revised version of this post to the White House. President Obama answered. I was aware there was an office tasked with reading every message that comes in but I didn’t realize everybody gets an answer, clearly personalized to the particular query or observation. When “The White House” popped up in my box, it made my day.

el floriditaFive. For LA readers or anyone visiting: El Floridita is a landmark Cuban restaurant with a dance floor and live music almost every night. This week I went for the second time in 20 years. Why did I wait so long? I had so much, the staff is welcoming, warm and hellbent that everybody is having fun.

1. I always love these posts– and particularly loved Maggie Smith’s poem. Definitely going to have to share that one on FB, it’s so needed right now with all the political drama. And, it’s so awesome you received a letter back from the Oval Office! That had to be an incredible feeling to have your voice acknowledged. I’ve been cherishing these last few months that Obama is in office. I live in the part of the nation that isn’t in love with him (which makes me so sad and frustrated), and I feel like they are taking for granted a truly great presidency. Thank you so much for sharing! Have a wonderful long weekend full of many celebrations!

July 4, 2016

It made my day, also because the letter sounds very much like the President talking. As much as I am looking forward to seeing a woman in the White House, I am going to miss this Presidency so much.

July 4, 2016
  2. That is so cool that “the White House” responded to your letter!!

July 2, 2016

Isn’t it? They probably have a bunch of standard (and rather long) letters that Obama approved (it sounds very much like his voice) they then tailor to each individual query/comment etc. I know that, since the beginning of his presidency, Obama asked for 5 letters from citizens to be included in his morning briefing, so he could keep in touch with the outside world.

July 2, 2016
  3. What a great post, again. I’m completely smitten with President Obama – I don’t think there will ever be a family like that in the White House again. Sadly.

July 2, 2016

I know. Class act. Thoughtful, smart, poised and scandal free. That hadn’t happened in a long time.

July 2, 2016
  4. Loved your post this morning. It made my weekend get off to a beautiful start.
    I went once to El Floridita, absolutely loved that vibrant atmosphere. Hope your cold gets better soon. When is the big day?

July 2, 2016

This coming Thursday. I always make a big deal of it. I have celebrations stretching from Thursday to Sunday!

July 2, 2016
  5. A friend of mine is going back to Italy in a few weeks. She’s from a town near Bologna (I think she said Perugia?). I’m very jealous.
    This has been a very uplifting post. I particularly like the poem… “You could make this place beautiful”

July 2, 2016

Perugia is a lovely small town about two hours south of Bologna, with a university that has an active exchange programs for foreign students. Also known for a famous brand of chocolate, Perugina. More than you ever wanted to know…

July 2, 2016
  6. Gosh, I wish WordPress had a ‘love’ button. This made me smile from ear to ear on a day where I’ve been exceedingly sad by the state of the world, particularly our political process. Thank you. We need more citizens…just like you! ღ

July 2, 2016

Thank you! I just printed the letter and I think I will frame it. First time I ever wrote to a politician…

July 2, 2016
  7. I love your opening picture – all those higgeldy-piggedly buildings – it makes me want to go there. (Is that also in Bologna?!) The poem is beautiful and gives me hope because it’s so true – we all want to make the world better for our children, even if we don’t have children of our own. I’m completely blown away by the answer from President Obama’s office. I’m a big fan of his and I believe the whole world will be a poorer place when he has left the Oval Office – and that’s a sentiment I wouldn’t keep from any children…

July 2, 2016

I am not too sure where that picture was taken. I “lifted” it from a friend’s FB page – I am notorious image thief – but she didn’t specify where it was taken. Will have to ask.