(5) Things we love…#94

Posted in Things We Love

ItalyIt’s going to be a scorcher in LA this weekend, so you will find me at the beach, up in Ventura, where doggies are allowed on the sand. Very civilized.

The things I picked this week have nothing to do with the beach but, rather, with my maddening, wonderful, crazy and dysfunctional home country, Italy. A few things you might not know and that might make you smile. And think.

oldest womanOne. Now that the previous record holder died in Brooklyn a few weeks ago, the oldest person in the world is Emma Morano who is a whopping 116. Ms. Morano credits her longevity to eating a raw egg every day. And being single all her life. Food for thought.

Roman mosaic with cat and ducks. From the Roman villa on Via Ardeatina, next to Cecchignola, Rome. This Roman mosaic floor panel represents a cat trying to catch a bird in flight and two ducks, one of which is holding a lotus flower in its beak. The styleTwo. When in Rome…the traffic will drive you insane and the traffic wardens don’t help matters much. Unless a family of ducks needs to cross the street and find their way back to the banks of the Tiber. This officer not only stops traffic to let the birds cross but then goes on to worry how the ducks can get back to the water. And that is why I love Italians: they put their hearts in whatever they do. Check the video here.

savoia familyThree. Italy just celebrated the Day of the Republic, a national holiday, on June 2. Italy became a republic 70 years ago. On June 2 1946, Italian citizens were called to vote on a referendum choosing whether to keep the monarchy or create a constitutional republic. They chose well. Had it gone the other way, this would have been our royal family today (they were allowed to come back to Italy only a few years ago).

femminicidioFour. The myth of the jealous Italian man endures, in a charming, Marcello Mastroianni movie kind of way. The reality is that the killing of women at the hands of their partners has been on the rise for quite a few years. It’s called “femminicidio”: women who try to leave possessive relationships, or abusive ones or just want to move on, are killed by men who see them as possessions. This reads: “70 years ago Italian women were granted the right to vote. Now we would also like the right of leaving our boyfriend without getting killed.”

Italian homosexuality posterFive. A debate that raged for many months was whether to allow gay couples the right to marry. While same-sex unions are prevalent (and civil unions now legally recognized) and most definitely not hidden, Catholic mores still find them hard to swallow. This poster reads: “As long as two men who kiss are more scandalous than a man who beats a woman, there will always be something wrong in this bloody country.”

1. Years ago when my kids were still children (if you see what I mean) we often went on holiday to France and stayed in a gite; until one day my son said ‘can’t we go to Italy instead? the food is better, the ice cream is awesome and they play better football”! that clinched it – the next five years we went to Italy every summer.
    So glad the Italians saw sence and didn’t vote for a monarchy, our own dear Queen is exceptional but the family hangers-on leave me speachless!T
    The two ‘posters’ about gay marriage vs domestic killing of women are very clever, hope they have some impact.

BTW what constitutes ‘a scorcher’ in LA? Here it is 34C, hot, sweaty (not humid though) dusty and with bad air….horrible.

June 5, 2016

It’s also in the 30s, not muggy though. I am sure we can’t beat your horrible air but last night a wildfire started near where I live and this morning I woke up with puffy eyes and an acrid smell in my nostrils. I wonder if it’s living in Bejing is akin to this. (Love your little Queen too…somehow I find the English monarchy endearing. Proof of a good PR job).

June 5, 2016
  2. ❤️ Since visiting your fabulous country, I’ve always said…you can have the universe if I can have Italy. Or at least, please share it with me. 😉

June 4, 2016

I am still to meet a person who doesn’t love Italy!

June 4, 2016
  3. Female murder at the hands of their men is on the rise? Or is it that it’s more known/studied these days? I hope it’s the latter – I’d hate to think we’re moving forward as humans in so many things, but some “old fashioned habits” are so prevalent…

June 4, 2016

I believe it is a bit of both. Young men used to be more tied and under the thumb of their families in days past and relationships not so plentiful. But it’s true that, especially in the south, honor killings were tolerated and justified.

June 4, 2016
  4. What a fascinating post! I visited Rome and Assissi once for a holiday but didn’t really get a feel for the country. So your post is an insight to some bits. Thanks.

June 4, 2016

It’s a fascinating country, beautiful but full of contradictions. Like many others I suppose

June 4, 2016
  5. Interesting… I wonder what it is about raw eggs that helps with longevity… (As for being single, we can kind of guess about that!)

June 4, 2016

I used to eat raw eggs as a kid. So delicious! Am so convinced eggs are good for you

June 4, 2016
  6. Luckily they were not voted in. Can you just imagine!

June 4, 2016

Not really. They wouldn’t have lasted long!

June 4, 2016
  7. Thanks for your amazing thoughts on Italy and how Italian life works. Thank you as things like this are an amazing resource for writers. I am going to reblog. Hope that’s ok.

June 4, 2016

What a nice compliment? Is there anything better than giving writers ideas? Reblog away!

June 4, 2016

The ducks! You made my day camparigirl. Can you imagine us today if we didn’t reject the possibility of having a monarchy of morons?

June 4, 2016

No. I can’t. I think I would have renounced my citizenship.

June 4, 2016
  9. I love Italy despite its many infuriating aspects. Best I don’t get into the many ludicrous customs of my homeland. Some similarities between the two countries certainly exist especially regarding female emancipation. Ok, here’s one for you to muse over: Did you know that in some parts of Ireland up until the 70s, a woman could not enter a pub. In other parts, she could enter but only if accompanied by a man. But she could absolutely not order a pint of beer. And if a pint of beer was accidentally put in front of said female, the barman had to split it into two half pint glasses… I ask you…

June 4, 2016

Yes, your country still has a lot of catching up to do. Ireland and Italy are charming, beautiful and fascinating countries with endemic problems that will take some time to catch up.