(5) things we love…#89

Posted in Things We Love

William Kenteridge tiberDoing the right thing is often more difficult than we think. Here are some examples of (mostly) people who did the right thing or who can inspire us to.

One. Granted. I cry easily. But I did not expect to cry watching this. That women should still be subjected to bullying because they have chosen a supposedly male profession is beyond the pale, in America, in 2016. That they get vilified because it’s easy to do when hiding behind a Twitter moniker is heartbreaking. More than the women, watch the men in this video.

leia libraryTwo. I am proud to say a group of people in my hometown of Bologna came up with a great idea: a library of objects you can borrow as you would a book. Need a pair of skis for the weekend? A food mixer? A drill? A bicycle? Objects, useful, mundane or random, can all be borrowed (not rented) at Leia.

Chobani founderThree. Bernie Sanders would approve. And if you like Greek yogurt, you should just buy Chobani. Hamdi Ulukaya, the founder of Chobani yogurt (the one that created the craze for Greek yogurt in the States) this week gave 10%, in the form of shares, of his company to all his employees. Shares were distributed according to length of service and can be sold once the company goes public or is bought. The newest employees stand to make $150,000 while those who were there from the beginning are looking at $1,000,000.

Four. Taking civic lessons from an elephant.

Five. And let’s not forget to breathe.

Top Image: reverse graffiti by William Kenteridge (more about it next week)

1. I’m feeling the Bern watching several of these clips. Except the first.
    I think you said you are hillary but I’m wondering how/if California will change the current situation… You guys must feel a bit like the Grand Finale 🙂

May 2, 2016

I love what Bernie has done and what has brought to the table, how he has forced Hillary to move more to the left. But, half way through, he started to sound to me like a one-trick pony. There are other issues that are close to me and I think Hillary’s heart is in the right place for most of them (not so sure on foreign policy) and I have no trouble with her ambition. And yes, I would love to see a woman sitting in that chair. I am not quite sure California will be so influential. Bernie would have to win so massively and I don’t think it can be done…but we will see.

May 2, 2016
  2. That video enraged me (I seem to be particularly angry since returning from Milan). I’m glad it’s gone viral. More people need to wake up and realize that sexism is alive and well in 2016. The internet is brings out the worst in these jerks. Words have meaning.

The news about the library in Bologna, on the other had was lovely to read about. That is a great idea! I was going to say something snarky about that never working in Rome, but let me stop. My goal for the week is to “make up” with Rome.

Buona domenica!

May 1, 2016
  3. I am completely in love with the idea of a library of objects to borrow! And who wouldn’t love every other single entry in this post? Well done. ღ

April 30, 2016

Thank you!

May 3, 2016
  4. #1 didn’t make me cry, it made me angry. I can’t believe I share my species with some of those people (but I’m happy the men who read the Tweets were appalled by them). It was #5 that really got to me. I’m asthmatic, and for some reason I related to that breathing metaphor, and felt sorry for the Earth and its inhabitants. I will most likely not witness most of the horrors our civilisation is inflicting upon this planet, and I have no children to be worrying about future generations bearing my genes – but all the people, all the animals, all the plants of the future, what will become of them? Why do we allow this to go on?

April 30, 2016

Selfishly, sometimes I think it will not be my problem to deal with. Only, it is because even if you and I will not face the end of civilisation as we know it, we are definitely dealing with some of the unpleasant outcomes of man’s carelessness.

May 3, 2016
  5. All incredible in different ways. Definitely an inspiring list.
    And #2 – what a great idea!

April 30, 2016

Isn’t it? I will be there in November and I am planning to go see with my own eyes.

May 3, 2016