(5) things we love..#88

Posted in Things We Love

Zoe-Bradley-burlingtonA monstrously long week at this end, one that saw me up before dawn every single day, much to the dismay of Ottie and Portia who are not much interested in breakfast before 5 am. So to start the weekend, I rounded up a few things that amused me or made me feel better this week.

One. When I saw this on our friend Eddie’s FB page, I knew I wanted one. How much more interesting would your underwear be if it was kept in such a cabinet?? Rumor has it Ikea bought the patent.

zoey bradleyTwo. I have always had a soft spot for the Burlington Arcade in London, an oasis of peace and restraint (and stodgy and unaffordable shops) just off busy Piccadilly. These recently happened to the Burlington Arcade: how gorgeous are they? And the stodginess was erased in the time it took to hang them. Art by Zoe Bradley – chandeliers made entirely of paper (via sofagirl).

dog cartoonThree. Because we think we are so smart.

Four. Because we think we are so smart and this is a lovely animated proof we are not.

Five. Just because.

1. What an ingenious cabinet! I wonder what would happen if a cat learned how it works…
    I couldn’t watch all of the Man video, it’s too true…

Did you know the Burlington Arcade used to “offer” services of prostitution back in the day? Truth is, it wasn’t official. Women working as shop girls made so little that they felt the need to add to their earnings by selling their bodies in the upper levels of the arcade, after the gentleman in question used a certain known phrase to ask for the service…

April 29, 2016

I had no idea. Love these historical tidbits!

April 29, 2016
    • What a fascinating piece of local history information! Thinking about it, I am not surprised as Shepherds’ Market is not too far away and was notorious for its ‘Ladies of the Night’ until well into the 20thC. And Jermyn Street was the ‘gentleman’s street’ where no lady of quality would ever ever go.

April 30, 2016

You ladies are making me want to reach for a book on the history of London!

May 3, 2016
  2. All fabulous and totally worthy of ‘love’ over a mere ‘like’ button! Having spent two full weekends, with 2 college degrees between the two of us recently trying to assemble an IKEA cupboard, I know I could NEVER convince Wayne to let me get a Wave cabinet (?). It might just push us over the edge together! Shared the “we’re so smart” animation on Facebook in the hopes that more people will stop and smell the coffee and realize the consequences of a ultra-modern life.

I confess I smiled while watching that soulful Prince video. What an amazing human, who just happened to be a truly remarkable musician. We will miss his creative soul. Here’s to a rejuvenating weekend for you and yours. ღ

April 23, 2016

I started my weekend by sleeping 10 consecutive hours. I feel new!

April 23, 2016
  3. The paper chandelier is gorgeous. I want a miniature version for my home.

April 23, 2016

Me too! It would put me in a good mood every time I looked at it.

April 23, 2016
    • Absolutely agree – what a fabulous chandelier – mind you as is paper no candles should be involved. I have always loved Burlington Arcade, it is so ‘out of time’ in terms of what the shops sell (at extortionate prices), but so very English and particularly London. There is another Arcade on the opposite side of Piccadilly, linking it with Jermyn Street and it is just as old fashioned. Hate to think what rents are charged for those shops – some of the most exclusive retail estate in the world!

April 24, 2016
  4. Winston moreton
    Winston moreton

I think the little bugger in the red hat was pissing Tom off. But George would of approved

April 23, 2016

If he were looking down, I bet he smiled.

April 23, 2016
  5. If Ikea has bought the patent for the wave cabinet, does that mean we’ll have to self-assemble it…?

Also like the animation at #4. It reminded me of Fantasia 2000 – Sorcerer’s Apprentice (but with a more sinister message)

April 23, 2016

I don’t buy anything from Ikea anymore that needs assembly. I lost too much time, and built up too much anger, looking at those ridiculous instructions. It better come fully assembled…

April 23, 2016