A fairly wide ranging set of things for this week, or so I thought; until I realised they share a direction, intent, message. Saved into my ‘bookmarks file’ over a period of 10 days. And then discussed with camparigirl on Tuesday night – only to find she is in the same place mentally as I am. Is it the planets aligning, is it that her cancer has focused us both, is it a function of our age? I can’t be sure, but here, for your perusal is what has bubbled up from my subconscious.
- Get out of the Mud: Oblique Strategies is a set of cards created by Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt used to break deadlocks in creative situations. Each card contains a (sometimes cryptic) remark that can help you resolve a creative (and frankly – any) dilemma. If you don’t have the cards – here’s the website that will help to recalibrate your thoughts.
2. Wipe the slate clean: What’s the flip side of regret? A Plus put a up blackboard in the middle of New York City and asked passersby to write down their biggest regrets: “At first, each regret seemed different and unique. After all, everyone has a different story. But as the board filled up, we noticed that all of these responses had one thing in common.” What would we do if we erased … not?
3. Live and Learn: Ric Elias had a front-row seat on Flight 1549, the plane that crash-landed in the Hudson River in New York in January 2009. Here’s what went through his mind as the plane went down. A 5 minute must watch: “Things I learned in a plane crash”
4. Find Beauty in the Everyday. This one is for Eddie Clarke – who does.
and lastly – anyone with a sensitivity to the F word should stop reading now.
5. Declutter your life, not your sock drawer. Via our pal Bonnie – who has a keen sense of what’s important in the world; ‘The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fuck: How to stop spending time you don’t have doing things you don’t want to do with people you don’t like’,” by Sarah Knight . Part self-help, part parody, outlining her theories on fuck-giving, offering irreverent, insightful and truly practical advice about how best to give and not give a fuck. Find out the why, when and how in this great interview at Idealog. Bought it. downloaded it, reading it.