Camparigirl: Resolutions 2015

Out with the old
Out with the old

I cherish rituals and, every year, between December 27 and 29, I empty my battered 30 year Filofax of its one-page a day diary and insert the refill I bought back in October. I go through the pages half- filled with pencil scribbled notes, hunting for friends’ and family’s birthdays to annotate in the pristine new diary: even if Facebook and my phone do remind me in much more technological ways of these festive events, taking the time to copy them over makes me feel closer to the people who crowd my heart, while evaluating the year that has just passed in the space of 15 minutes. Appointments, things to do, the satisfaction of the check marks – all that has populated 365 days is there, at a glance: happy, sad, indifferent.

It’s been a hard year in many ways but not a bad one. For 2015 I am not looking for sweeping changes, emotional windfalls (although a financial one would be rather welcome) or course-altering decisions. Rather, I am hoping for a fine-tuning on the journey of acceptance I have embarked on:

• Finding grace in the drab and the annoying;
  • Keeping my thoughts clear and without fear of voicing them;
  • Ramping up the “being of service” part of my life.
  • And, finally, stop complaining about having too much to do. My friend Silvia made me promise I would take it easy during these few days of vacation in the desert between Christmas and New Year. I am proud to say, I broke my promise as I went about working out, cooking casseroles and chicken pot pies, running around with the dogs and embarking on a project research on behalf of a friend that, frankly, could have waited until next week.

That is who I am and it has served me well: the lists, the obsession for keeping my house clean, the baking of extravagant cakes just because, the perpetual movement are, in the end, always counterbalanced and they kept my life interesting. So, 2015, bring it on.

May your year be gentle, generous and may you choose to spend an itsy-bitsy portion of it on our couch.

1. I use three printed calendars in my home each year despite living in the digital age. Like you, I look forward to copying birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions from one year to the next. It’s also fun to take a trip down memory lane and remember the fun times I had over the past year.

I love your resolutions for this year. Wishing you peace and prosperity in 2015!

January 10, 2015

You just made me feel a little less of an oddball. Happy New Year Jaime!

January 10, 2015
  2. I can’t stop doing things either, especially when I’m supposed to be relaxing or resting. Immediately before Christmas, I ran around like a scalded cat, cooking Christmas fayre, and I, like you, have to have the house clean.

January 5, 2015

After reading your Christmas post, I recognized a kindred spirit. I realize that cleaning and organizing are not the stuff I will think of on my deathbed but they allow for order in brain, which I need for other endeavors. At least, that is how I justify it to myself!

January 6, 2015
  3. Good for you. You have to embrace who you are. I learned how to say no in my 40’s. Some people never learn that word, and are forever bitter and blaming. I am proud to say that I’ve become lazier and selfish in my old age. Love it! Although I’m still a terrible enable to my adult children. Gotta work on that!

January 4, 2015

How to say no – there are probably a few posts to write around that little word.

January 5, 2015
  4. Totally with you on handwritten diaries. Facebook birthday reminders aren’t always helpful. I know several friends who have a false date on FB, or have the setting on private, so there’s no reminder at all.
    Anyway, all the best for the new year!

January 3, 2015

And here I thought you couldn’t lie on Facebook, after I put my real my birth date for the whole world to see! That was silly.
      Happy new year to you!

January 3, 2015

That’s who you are and I couldn’t love you less eventhough you break those promises I know you can’t keep.
    A toast to the itsy-bitsy portions of the year you’ll spend on the couch. May a few of them be shared together.

January 3, 2015

The good thing about you is that you take me as I come. And always with great patience. What more could I ask of a friend?

January 3, 2015