Rain Song

Raindrops-on-Window-Glass-after-Rain__IMG_2944_cr-1024x649And then it rained. Finally the sky opened and fat drops of water started falling in rapid succession. Ottie was none too happy about it, his gallivanting put on hold for the day and, stuck inside, he sat by the sliding door letting the world know his displeasure by uttering a sequence of lamentations, a monochord and unbroken rumble that he can will to go on at great length.

I slid the vegetable pie in the oven and went to join him. Arm wrapped around his belly, I pushed the door open so we could both smell the dampness and fill our noses with the moisture we have been longing for. He, scanning the edge of the lawn for unwanted visitors, came up empty-handed: gophers, squirrels and rats were all in hiding. I, watching the drops hit the grass, hang on the edge of the palm leaves and do their merry rain dance, suddenly remembered how much I missed these deluges.

We sat on the stoop for a long time, keeping each other warm, the Beatles belting from the grooves of Abbey Road and the pie starting to infuse the kitchen with its mouth-watering aroma, until our feet got wet from the rain drops ricocheting up off the concrete and landing on our paws. It was only Ottie’s dislike for getting wet and the bone-chilling cold that stopped us from getting a good soak through.

This storm is not nearly enough to compensate for the worst drought California has ever experienced. In a few months our water will be rationed, our plants will be left to fend for themselves and even our showers will be curtailed. No other rain is forecast in the near future which makes this thick curtain of clouds enveloping my house in the canyon, and the rhythmic pang on the roof, even more precious.

Tomorrow we can go back to our relentless sun and the humidifier working overtime to alleviate the dryness, and to cursing the Chinese for their pollution, and mankind in general for not taking care of our most precious commodity. Just for tonight, we will silence the tv and sit watching the sky morph from slate to black while welcome tears stick to our windows.

Photos found in the public domain (because I didn’t  think of taking any at the time – bad blogger)

1. Such a picture of domestic bliss you conjured up. I could smell the rain.

February 11, 2014

Glad you didn’t spoil that moment with Ottie for picking up your IPhone/camera.
    After all NOT everything needs to be shared online.
    Hope the forecast is wrong. Great job honey.

February 10, 2014
    • You are right: not everyting needs to be shared online. Lots of sunshine and warmth today – bummer

February 10, 2014
  3. @winstonmoreton
    @winstonmoreton

Chinese Curse. “May you live in interesting times. Campari&Sofa Girls keep it interesting in a comfortable way.

February 10, 2014
  4. I really, really wish to live someday in a place where rain is a special thing, awaited by everyone with anticipation. Right now, I pray every single day for a glimpse of sun. Or for an opportunity to actually see the sky above me, constantly hiding behind thick grey clouds…:)

February 10, 2014
    • It goes to show we are never happy with what we have. Send some clouds over please!

February 10, 2014
  5. Harriette Smith
    Harriette Smith

You wrote that so beautifully. What kind of a dog is Ottie? How old is he? I’m like him. I like to watch the rain from the inside looking out but I know we need it desperately and more of it. Besides I have a new raincoat, not worn yet. I guess it rained pretty hard in the canyon but still waiting for it to come down to the flatlands. xox

February 10, 2014
    • I have a pretty raincoat and rain boots (wellies) I haven’t worn once this year! And the only day it rained, I was at home.
      Ottie is a 11-year-old boxer, full name Otello – and he has a sister, Portia.

February 10, 2014
  6. So beautifully written. I heard from our CA family that it had rained, but oh, the drought will continue to wreak havoc on everyone for some time. It’s rainy season there, so I’m hopeful you’ll get some more.

February 10, 2014
    • Thanks…we truly hope it moves our way…super sunny and warm right now…

February 10, 2014