Things I learned about my campari self this year

Posted in Aging, Life & Love, and Women's issues

I am taking lessons on how to live the good life
I am taking lessons on how to live the good life
  1. Love does not conquer all. Calm, patience and persistence do.
  2. In fact, I surprised myself this year by cultivating patience, a trait unknown to the younger me.
  3. For someone still mesmerized by skyscrapers and old buildings huddled together, I need and appreciate nature more than I thought.
  4. Cooking is, by far, my favorite form of meditation.
  5. A cocktail a week, sipped slowly, is a wonderful indulgence.
  6. Stupidity and prejudice are more prevalent than one would think. Dealing with them requires more equanimity I can sometimes muster.
  7. The best things develop slowly, often when we are not paying attention.
  8. If I could be granted one wish to change the world, I would want for everyone to have a mother like mine: not perfect, but just right.
  9. If I have done only one thing worthwhile, I chose husband, friends and dogs wisely.
  10. I have slowly eliminated the word “expect” from my day to day vocabulary.

1. Cultivating patience… that sounds like something I should do 😉 How does one go about that?

May 9, 2014
  2. I love those evenings when I can come home a little earlier than everyone else and have the kitchen all to myself. This way I can prepare dinner in solitude. I can block out all things and just be in the moment. Of course once my daughter comes bouncing into the house with my husband is the icing on the cake 🙂

December 24, 2013
    • I like the image of the quiet kitchen, you preparing dinner. Feel the same about mine (plus the dogs who are always hovering for scraps)

December 27, 2013
  3. If I were to write my 10, they would be pretty much the same as yours. Except for the dogs. Three cats have chosen me and my family very wisely. Annie, our little cat who was run over, marked us for herself and Clarabel (who’s sitting on my knee right now) by digging her little kitten claws into my husband’s neck.

December 23, 2013
    • I also believe animals choose us. And they can be a lot wiser in their choices! Happy Holidays Charlie!

December 24, 2013
  4. Jen
    Jen

These are really thoughtful. And I too want to borrow this idea. Thanks!

December 23, 2013
    • As I said to Jame, please borrow and steal away – being able to inspire, once in a while, gives us great satisfaction.

December 23, 2013
  5. Does this mean you’re on holidays and not writing till new year?:) 5 and 7, check. 8 is the greatest compliment a mother could wish for.

December 23, 2013
    • I am on “blog” holiday for a couple of weeks but all the posts are done until the end of the year; and scheduled. So you can keep on reading wherever you are!
      Buon Natale!

December 23, 2013
      • I feel relieved:) Buon Natale to you too!

December 23, 2013
  6. Awesome post! Love no. 8 cos I feel the same about my mum. Would just chuck out no. 4 – (cooking stresses me) and emphasise the importance of learning how to manage one’s expectations.

December 23, 2013
    • An Italian mum I suppose? (mostly) they are the best!
      Buon Natale e Felice Buon Anno Manu

December 23, 2013
  7. Love this post! What a great idea — I may borrow the concept. Love #4 & #5, and unfortunately #6 is so true. Beautiful dog in the picture! Happy Holidays to you and yours! I enjoy following your blog.

December 22, 2013
    • The beautiful dog in the picture is my Portia who has taken up to lying in the sun in the new lounge chairs – why confine herself to the floor when a perfectly good padded chair is available? Please borrow, copy and steal any ideas you see on here. It’s a compliment!

December 23, 2013