Thought for the week …#31

Posted in Life & Love, Relationships, Things We Love, and Women's issues

301842_454341534576709_1219289228_n“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world”

Margaret Meade

That picture is outstanding, simply beautiful.

May 5, 2013
  2. Its possible change whit small group but If stronge collectivity can do it
    ramajobs.wordpress.com

April 22, 2013
    • Absolutely. As long as we remember to start somewhere and not wait for the collectivity at large to come to us. Thanks for stopping by.

April 22, 2013
  3. Such a striking photograph! It adds a really interesting dynamic to that quote, too.

April 21, 2013
    • I found the quote and sofagirl dug up the photo – it really does conjure a sense of togetherness and ability to achieve anything we set our mind to

April 21, 2013
  4. Hadn`t heard of that quote before. I know Margaret Meade was an anthropologist. What a heartening thing to hear. I wonder what event prompted her to say it?

April 21, 2013
    • I found the quote buried in an article about about, I think, former congressman Anthony Weiner and I liked it. I will dig around to see in what context she used it

April 21, 2013
  5. Thanks for reminding me of this quote today. I just came from a very inspiring afternoon with a group of leaders who are working to improve education in Minnesota for African American children. I was energized and excited about the work when I got home, but started to think about how hopeless the situation was and how unlikely we are to actually make a difference. Your quote was a corrective. Thanks!

April 21, 2013
    • So glad to hear that KT. I completely understand that moment – when all your enthusiasm is doused with the cold water of reality. I run an NGO in SA that works in the area of HIV/AIDS and sometimes I get so disheartened at the extent of the work that needs to be done. I am about to move to a new job where I work with an NGO that feeds schoolchildren – we have a huge poverty problem in South Africa and for many kids (especially in the rural areas) – their only meal of the day will come at school. And it will be a simple one of peanut butter sandwiches – porridge. I have taught myself not to look down – just to look outwards. Even if you change one life – give hope to one person – acknowledge and recognise one little dream – fill one tummy – you’ve already set in motion a huge change. So keep on keeping on – you are doing fantastic work. We will check in with you to see how you are doing!

April 21, 2013
    • That you actually got off your couch, when to a meeting to work towards making a better world, speaks volume as to who you are. The first step is almost the most difficult – you are already on the path, so I hope you don’t forget that when you get disheartened at the sheer volume of what needs to be done. As sofagirl said, if you only touch one human being, it will all be worth it.

April 21, 2013