In honour of International Women’s Day last Friday – camparigirl and I thought we would take stock of what we know to be true in this world that is tumbling and falling into chaos. Yet still throws up beauty in so many different ways.
Our ‘knows’ might change as we get older. And, perhaps when we are the age our mothers are now – we will rewrite these lists with a wry chuckle. Or not – these are all lessons learned the hard way – over five decades. They’ve become part of our respective DNA .. and shape the way we are in the world without us even noticing.
Do you have something you’d like to add? We would love to hear your “right now’s” – so please drop them in the comments section or send us and email and we will collate them into another post next week.
Here are my Top Ten “right now – this much I know is true”. I can’t wait to read Claudia’s:
1. Money, Time and Sleep can solve many things.
2. Buy the best Insurance and Health Care you can afford – you will need it one day.
3. Honesty is the best policy – but kindness trumps everything.
4. Integrity is key to your self-worth and peace of mind. And Integrity means doing the right thing even when no one is watching.
5. You get what you pay for: especially with hotels, air travel, clothes and cars.
6. Small carelessesnesses give birth to giant fuck ups. Nothing starts as a colossal mess. It gets there through a series of entitlements, allowances, looking aways, half truths and fumbles. Call it when you first see it.
7. If something starts in a lie it will end badly – the stain will always be there. As Jimmy Goldsmith famously said: “When a man marries his mistress, he creates a job opportunity.” That sentiment is true in many areas of life. Including work and politics.
8. Shame is a hideous emotion that corrodes our souls. If you feel you’ve done someone or something wrong – fix it before it eats you alive.
9. Sincere Apology is powerful and turns tides.
10. You have to give someone permission to ruin your life. If that’s happening – walk away. They won’t.