A recent piece in the Huffington Post listed the knowledge a woman should have acquired by the time she reached 50. We love the Huffpost – but the suggestions were too vague to us – and not age appropriate (frankly, fuddy duddy). Which prompted us to examine what we really know now vs what we thought we knew at 30. Herewith camparisandsofa’s top 10 must-have ‘pearls of wisdom’:
- Don’t take yourself too seriously: laugh lines are becoming. Lighten up and move on.
- Brooding, uncommunicative & complicated men do not make great companions or lovers.
- Trying to please other people is an impossibility. Be decent about getting what works for you and the rest will fall into place.
- We can have it all: as long as we stop expecting perfection and learn to compromise.
- Our mothers were right. Most of the time. And so are we. Most of the time
- No-one spends as much time thinking about us as we think they do.
- Marriage, jobs and children do not define us. Unless we let them.
- We’re not for everyone – some people will like us, some won’t.
Sometimes it is what it is. Recognise it, accept it and let it go
It’s ok to ask for what you want: people are not mind readers and the world doesn’t need any more martyrs
And an Honourary but essential number 11: Hair coloring is best left to professionals. Always.